London: The distant father of the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, could be among the witnesses presented by a British newspaper to fight against a legal action launched by the former television star for alleged violation of privacy and violation of the right to ‘author.
The case, launched by Markle’s legal team in October of last year, revolves around the publication in the “ Mail on Sunday ” of extracts from a personal letter she sent to his father in August 2018, three months after his marriage to Prince Harry.
His lawyers allege misuse of private information, copyright infringement and violation of the Data Protection Law of 2018. “We have taken legal action against” Mail on Sunday “and its parent company Associated Newspapers, for the intrusive and illegal publication of a private publication, letter written by the Duchess of Sussex, which is part of a campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about it, as well as her husband, “said the law firm Schillings in its statement. “In light of Associated Newspapers’ refusal to resolve this issue satisfactorily, we have initiated proceedings to remedy this privacy breach, copyright infringement and the aforementioned media agenda”, indicates the press release.
As part of official documents filed Tuesday with the London High Court, Associated Newspapers Ltd defended the publication of the extracts and included evidence from Thomas Markle – who could also be called to testify if the case continued.
“The plaintiff’s (Meghan) privacy rights do not extend to her father’s silence,” the documents note.
Markle’s father, former Hollywood lighting director, was at the center of controversy as the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle approached in May 2018.
Court documents also include text messages sent by Thomas to his daughter before marriage as part of the defense, claiming that he “did not have a reasonable expectation of privacy that the contents of the letter were private and would remain so. “
It remains to be seen whether the case will be tried or settled before that.
Developments in the legal case come as Prince Harry and Markle are going through an agreed transition period with Queen Elizabeth II after they declare their intention to step back as senior Royals and split their time between UK and Canada.
Markle, who has been in Canada since last week, was pictured during her first public appearance there while visiting a women’s center in Vancouver on Tuesday.
The Downtown Eastside Women’s Center posted a photo of a radiant 38-year-old Markle with staff and visitors on Facebook, with the caption “Look who we had tea with today”.
The purpose of the visit was “to discuss issues affecting women in the community,” the group said.
Prince Harry, 35, is expected to join Markle and their eight-month-old son Archie in Canada in the coming days after an official event he is scheduled to host Thursday at Buckingham Palace.